Sunday, September 27, 2015

Why the IA and the WDC were absolutely wrong - Reviewing the Case Against YM Yang: Part 11

As I promised, here are my thoughts after poring through all of this analysis.

First, as I said in a previous post, I will not cast aspersions on the motives of Pr. Chin in Singapore. I have no doubt that he approached his task with a genuine heart that loves the church. And in the same way, I hope anyone reading this does not doubt that I approach mine with the same.

Here are my thoughts after spending many, many hours on this.

1) Despite the accusations, no one ever suggested that it is unnecessary to receive the promised Holy Spirit as evidenced by speaking in tongues. I listened to hours of Pr. Yang's classes. Over and over again he stresses that nothing he says in any way, shape, or form states or even implies that it is not necessary for one to pray for dórea, the gift of the Holy Spirit as evidenced by speaking in tongues. And yet for whatever reason, those who seek to accuse him of "heresy" return to that accusation over and over again.

2) The core issue, as I see it, is one of semantics. Pr Yang says that when someone is baptized, they become a child of God and the spirit of God is in him or her. Is this a valid point of view?

When someone has their feet washed, we say they have a part with Jesus. There's no controversy there.

When someone takes the Holy Communion, we say that he abides in Jesus and Jesus abides in him. When they eat the flesh and drink the blood, they have life in them. Again, no controversy.

If it's not considered "heresy" to say that Jesus Christ abides in you when you get your feet washed and when you take the Holy Communion, why is it suddenly "heresy" when you say that He abides in you when you get baptized?

When someone is baptized, they belong to Christ and are led by the Spirit of God. They have clothed themselves with Christ. Christ may dwell in their hearts through faith. They were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. When they say "Jesus is Lord," it is by the Holy Spirit. They serve in the new way of the Spirit. They have been crucified with Christ and no longer live, but Christ lives in them. They can receive gifts from the Spirit to help the church. When they are insulted because of the name of Christ, the Spirit of glory and of God rests on them.

Scripture says clearly that when we are baptized we are brought from death to life. We were dead in our transgressions and sins but made alive with Christ. What is it exactly that gives life? Isn't it the Spirit?

Is it really "heresy" to take all these verses and conclude that once someone is baptized, the spirit of God can be in him or her?

And if anyone insists the answer is yes, I'd challenge them to look at it from the other side. Are those people bold enough to preach unequivocally that once someone is baptized, the Spirit of God is absolutely NOT with that person unless and until they received the promised Holy Spirit as evidenced by speaking in tongues?

When the IA gave Pr. Yang an ultimatum that in order for him to keep his job he needed to pledge to "stop preaching heresy", what's the reason that he refused to do so? Was it because he was truly a heretic? Was he, as some say, a tool of Satan? (And if he truly were an unrepentant apostate, wouldn't it have been easier for him to just lie and pretend to accept the pledge? If he were already caught in a pack of lies, what difference would one other lie make?). Or, did he simply refuse because he disagreed with the accusation that any of what he preached was "heresy" in the first place?

I'll be honest, I see truth in both sides, and I see both sides backed up by Scripture. But what I find sad is that instead of coming together in a spirit of unity and love to discuss even trivial differences and to humbly seek God's guidance, what seems to have prevailed is a spirit of mutual destruction.

When Scripture commands us to live in unity, I don't think that means willfully and methodically silencing all voices that don't agree with you through intimidation, subjugation, or political power. I think it means everyone having the humility to discuss these things together in love and peace and then approaching the Lord together as one.

3) While I've said repeatedly that I will not cast aspersions on the motives of Pr. Chin nor even this character "RAWLS" that Pr. Chin makes reference to over and over again, I admittedly find the choices of "evidence" highly questionable.

You'd think that if Pr. Yang were truly a reprobate that you'd be able to download any sermon of his and find clear and repeated evidence of his deceit. But despite the fact that there are hundreds of hours of his sermons freely available to download on the Web, and despite that there were "moles" planted in all of his lectures for the past few years listening to every word he said trying to find something to attack him on, I can't help but notice that the "evidence" consists of only a few minutes of extremely selective audio.

And out of these few minutes, why is the preponderance of this "evidence" focused on what are ultimately unanswerable questions? Will members who did not have access to living water but still performed baptism still be saved? When Jesus comes, if there are little children who never knew how to pray for the Holy Spirit will they still be saved?

These questions simply have no answers. Pr. Yang was giving his personal opinion on them--and in virtually all cases he prefaces his comments by saying exactly that. He says that he's speaking his personal opinion, encourages the members to take it as reference only, and encourages them to do their own search for the truth.

Those who cry out "heresy" should be very careful, because if they insist that Pr. Yang's answers to the questions are absolutely wrong, they're essentially asserting that their own answers to those same questions are absolutely right. But how can they be so sure? And if they're not absolutely sure (and unless they received a direct revelation from God, they aren't), should we be judging them by the their own measure they use to judge others?

I remember I was at one Bible Seminar years ago in Elizabeth when Elder S.T. Hsieh was asked a question: are there dogs in heaven? I remember distinctly the elder saying, yes, he was pretty sure there'd be dogs in heaven. I smiled because there was just something within me that felt there was truth to this statement. Those who don't own dogs may not get it, but if you've ever owned a dog you've probably felt the kind of unconditional love that comes from your dog's heart. And how could heaven not have that kind of love?

But of course there's no verse in the Bible that you can point to that "proves" it. But did the brothers and sisters stand up, point to Elder Hsieh, and shout, "heretic!" and "deviant!"? No. And because this was an elder whom I'd admired and trusted as one was speaking straightforwardly and sincerely from his heart, I took him at his word that his opinion was guided by the Holy Spirit. But of course, you, I, or anyone else won't know the absolute truth until we reach the shores of heaven. The same is true for all these "unanswerable" questions. Should we really be telling ministers and members not to express their personal opinions nor discuss these things? Isn't this putting a limit on the Holy Spirit's power?

4) I found particularly revealing how Pr. Yang's message on visions during baptism was portrayed. I don't know if we were listening to the same message, but what I heard as an excellent message on the very real issue of habitual, dead worship was clearly misrepresented by "RAWLS" as one that depicted Pr. Yang as a horrible person, "repulsed" by those who saw visions and "repulsed" by the visions themselves.

Again, I will stop short of passing judgment, but I ask you to re-read the "evidence" and reflect for yourself, Did this characterization from "RAWLS" sound like the analysis of someone who wanted to do an honest and objective analysis, or did it sound like someone desperately fishing for "evidence" in a witch hunt to paint Pr. Yang in as unfavorable a light as possible, irrespective of the facts? And if the latter, why is the IA repeatedly using this person's opinions as prima facie evidence of Pr. Yang's alleged false teachings? In fact, if this person is so sure of his/her veracity, why is it that he/she feels it necessary to hide behind a false name when the rest of us are using our real names?

5) While I've been tough on the IA, I don't hold Pr. Yang blameless in this whole ordeal. Yes, I do believe that he was treated very unfairly. I believe these charges of "heresy" are at best myopic and at worst a calculated effort by a few people to discredit him.

But regardless, I feel he should have maybe been less defiant in his reactions to those who accused him, regardless of how unjustly or unreasonably he was treated. I would have liked to have seen him display more of the "compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience" that Paul spoke of in Colossians 3:12, not just to those who supported him (which he does) but to those who opposed him as well (which I sometimes fear he does not as much as he could). Yes, it must have been difficult beyond belief to conduct sermons and classes knowing that in every venue there were those who came solely to trap him with his words, but then again, Jesus Christ dealt with that and much worse.

And I perhaps would have liked to see him show a little more wisdom as far as discerning what might be easily misunderstood or twisted by those who may not have reached the level of understanding he did, both in terms of the things he said and the way he said them, understanding that to the "weak" he needs to be "weak" in order to win them over.

But all these are simply personal faults that are completely between him and his God. I absolutely believe that they do not rise to the level of offenses that merit excommunication nor even removing his position as a minister. If every member that offended others were excommunicated we'd have a very small church indeed.

Conclusion

I will conclude this series of posts the same way I started them. I believe that the True Jesus Church was wrong to excommunicate YM Yang. I have cited all the reasons above, and all the "evidence" is there so you can decide for yourself.

I conducted this analysis with as open mind and prayerful heart as I could, and after all that I still found the "evidence" to be dubious. I don't believe what is being characterized as "heresy" and "deviant teachings" is anything but either mere differences in semantics or examples of honest, legitimate questions. And I don't believe that personal foibles in a minister are enough to warrant stripping him of the role of minister, a title that ultimately was not given to him by man but by God.

As for the actions of the IA and the WDC, can I explain how so many brothers and sisters who are leaders of their respective churches around the world could have taken this "evidence" and made the decision they did? No, I can't. Did some in the meeting accept the case against Pr. Yang simply because they did not want to show disrespect to the people who brought the accusations because of their positions? Did some in the meeting not even bother to read this "evidence" because they felt the accusers were "filled with the Holy Spirit" and thus anything they wrote was to be trusted at face value without questioning? Was it that some simply didn't want to "rock the boat", perhaps sensing that something was wrong but telling themselves that "God would take care of it"? Did some feel that just because it was a lengthy document that there had to be at least some merit to it? Or was it a "perfect storm" where all these things happened at once?

I can't speculate any further because I just don't know. But one thing I do know. It wouldn't be the first nor the last example of "groupthink" in a True Jesus Church administrative meeting.

So What Do We Do From Here? 

1) To the ministers of the IA and the GA

I will first address this to each of you as individuals, and then to the group as a whole.

I know many of you personally, if not most of you personally. And I know you well enough to know that you must have been bitterly disappointed to hear that Brother Steve Liu had published a blog like this. While there are some of you who I suspect were enraged to read what I wrote, I think most of you were just saddened. I sense that some of you even prayed for me because of the love of Christ we have shared over the years both in our time together in New Jersey as well as the few years of my service in the IA.

For those of you who know me, you know my faith is not the sort where I will fall in line behind a cult of personality. In fact, as I wrote a few posts ago, my writing of this blog was never about Pr. Yang. At its core it is about an argument that a preacher and an elder had many years ago.

If someone has been baptized into the blood of Jesus Christ and becomes a child of God, if that person does good deeds but has not yet received the baptism of the Holy Spirit will those deeds be remembered by God? 

That's the question that started this whole thing, and that's the question you need to answer. Don't wait for the translation. Don't refer it to the Truth Research Committee. Don't even make lists of all the verses in Scripture that "prove" it one way or another. Tonight in your evening prayer, just ask the Holy Spirit that is within you--what is the answer? Yes or no? Which answer is closer to the gospel of Christ?

I would also ask you to please go back and read every word of the last 10 posts. I know on the pulpit many if not most of you have already been warning your congregations to stay away from blogs like this, which is your right to do. But even if my blog could somehow "brainwash" the more impressionable members of your flock, surely I cannot "brainwash" you. So please, read carefully and decide for yourself--were my words written with a spirit of fairness, accuracy, honesty, a pure heart, and a sincere desire to find out the truth?

If so then ask yourself this. How did we get to the point where we are following the example of the people and the elders and the teachers of the law by producing lines of witnesses who provide testimony against your fellow worker for God that if not is "false witness", is certainly specious at best? How did we get to the point where we are following the example of the rulers, the elders, and the teachers of the law and forbidding our own members from speaking words, regardless of whether these words might be from their own mind or from the Holy Spirit?

I know there are some in the IA and GA who are digging in their heels. They're the ones that did not and will not read one word of anything I wrote but have already warned their congregations that I am a "tool of Satan". They are the ones who quench the Spirit's fire and have gotten so used to protecting and defending the integrity of the International and General Assemblies of the True Jesus Church that they have forgotten that their job was to do that for the gospel of Jesus Christ. To them I have nothing to say except, I am praying for you.

But I know there are others in the IA and GA who did take the time to read this, to pray on it, and to reflect on it. Maybe you agree with what I wrote, maybe you don't. If you feel after reading it that there is no merit to what I wrote, I do still thank you for at least having taken the time to read and consider it and not treating my "prophesies" with "contempt".

But if you read it and the Spirit is telling you that something--anything--that I said raises a red flag, then please do not quench the Spirit's fire. It may be difficult. You may be scolded or censured. You may even lose your reputation, your position, or your livelihood. But as Peter and the apostles said, "We ought to obey God rather than men". The servant who knows the master's will and does not get ready or does not do what the master wants will be beaten with many blows. You have been entrusted with much, so much will be asked of you.

And now I speak to the IA and GA as a collective group. If you examine the actions of the group over the past few years, do these words accurately describe the group's actions in this matter?

Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.

Or on the flip side, among your ranks, have you witnessed the kind of bitterness, rage, anger, brawling, and slander that Paul describes in that same chapter of Ephesians with regards to this incident? Think of those individuals in your ranks who first raised the idea to punish Pr. Yang. Look beyond their years of service, their titles, and your own personal relationship with them. Look objectively at the things they have done in your name in this incident, from the first accusation to the ultimate vote by the WDC to kick him out of your church. Did their actions really reflect the words above?

That's not a question I can answer nor can anyone else except for you. And if you as a group examine your actions and find yourself wanting, what will you do about it? You can warn your members not to read my blog, or Albert Chen's blog, or anyone else's blog. But the one thing you cannot do is ask your members not to look upon your fruit and upon the deeds that were done in your name. Those are clear for all to see, and if unchecked it's those things that will do far more damage to you, your organization, and our church, far more than any blog post out there.

The thing you need to understand is that people like he and I write what we write because we love you and we love our church. The simplest thing for folks like him and me to do would be to stay silent and watch you destroy yourselves from within. But something, whether our own consciences or the Holy Spirit I'll let you decide, is compelling us to speak. And if it is the latter, you'd do best not to ignore it.

I've heard rumors now that some in the church administration are talking about censuring, denouncing, or even excommunicating anyone who supports or even speaks out on behalf of Pr. Yang, which presumably will include people like me. If this is the way it must be, may the Lord's will be done. But to those who may be contemplating this, please just remember one thing.

Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ. For we were all baptized by one Spirit so as to form one body—whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink. Even so the body is not made up of one part but of many. 

Now if the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? But in fact God has placed the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. If they were all one part, where would the body be? 

As it is, there are many parts, but one body.The eye cannot say to the hand, “I don’t need you!” And the head cannot say to the feet, “I don’t need you!” On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty, while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has put the body together, giving greater honor to the parts that lacked it, so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.

There are many "lost sheep" out there that have been baptized by the same Spirit as you have and who have been given one Spirit to drink who would welcome returning to a church that was filled with love and life and mercy over judgment. There are many "bruised reeds" out there who would gladly lend their enormous God-given talents to serve the church if they could be convinced that they are ultimately serving the kingdom of God and not a human organization of administrators. There are many souls who ache to come home to a place whose eyes are fixed firmly on Jesus Christ, but don't feel that the church that God entrusted you to lead is that place. Amputate them if you must, but know that with each amputation the body just may be one step closer to death.

On the other hand if you, with a humble, self-reflective heart. welcome them back and nurture them you may be surprised at what this could do for your church.

2) To the members who support YM Yang

While most of the comments left on this blog and around the Web were done in a spirit of love and constructive criticism, I've witnessed that clearly there is a minority who are bitter against the church for their own selfish reasons. They really don't care about the church, they're just taking this incident and piling on in hopes of seeing the church punished or destroyed. To them I have the same words to said to that other group I mentioned above. I am praying for you.

But to the bulk of you who have love the body of Christ and have had your hearts broken and your hopes shattered by what you've witnessed happen to YM Yang, I'll say a few words.

I have the luxury of a few things. I cannot read nor speak Chinese, so I cannot read the vitriol that has been directed towards you for many years on discussion forums, in church literature, from the pulpit and even seeded among your extended families and social circles. I have witnessed for myself how some of you have been personally insulted and attacked in the most vituperous ways by "holy workers" who really should have known better.

Up to now I have had the luxury of not having had my own name thrown around in conjunction with slanderous words like "Satan", "evil", and "excommunication" (although I suspect that will change shortly). But for those of you who have gone through years of this, I cannot imagine the pain you've had to endure.

And I suspect that when you read the last 10 posts, you got angry. And you know what? So did I. Just as our Lord did in the temple, I wanted to just start turning over tables and shouting. How is it that our beautiful house of worship has turned into a place where one cannot worship God except in the most stiflingly rigid of ways?

But in our anger, let's not sin. Don't let unwholesome talk come from your mouth but only what is good for building up. Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. And above all, do not become cynical, lose hope or give up. We normally don't think of those last three things as "sins", but that's exactly what they are because when we do those things we deny the power of God, who is a God of justice.

Now is the time for us to practice the words in these verses.

Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord. On the contrary: “If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

I happen to agree with you that a grave injustice has been done. But now's the time for you to put the words of Christ into practice. If you feel you've been slapped on the right cheek, let yourself be slapped on the left cheek, not in defiance but with the same humility your Savior displayed on the road to Golgotha.

With all due respect, calling yourselves names that imply that only you are correct and everyone who doesn't agree with your viewpoint is like someone who worships Baal--that doesn't help anyone. In Philippians, Paul tells us to let our gentleness be evident to all. In 1 Peter, Peter tells us to speak with gentleness and reverence...so those who revile your good behavior in Christ will be put to shame.

When we exhibit the exact same behavior that we decry in the church leaders we disapprove of, we're not helping our case one bit. On the other hand, let your light shine and along with it will shine the righteousness of your cause.

3) And to the rest of you

You've seen with your own eyes evidence that either corruption or ignorance or both happened in the highest level of the True Jesus Church's administrative system. So what do I suggest you do about it? 

Nothing. 

Yes, that's what I said. I'm not calling for anyone to vote out all your church councils, nor to recruit and vote for certain people during your next NCC elections. I'm not calling for those "lifetime members" of the IA and GA to step down in disgrace. I'm not calling for boycotts, or demonstrations, or petitions, or to withhold your financial contributions or for anything that would otherwise continue down this path of mutual destruction. Those are all human weapons which are useless in a spiritual battle. Those kinds of efforts will come to nothing. 

The first thing I would recommend is that if you're tempted to be shocked or dismayed to find that there is corruption and/or ignorance among your church leaders, don't be. If reading these things has shaken your faith in the church, it means that your focus has always been on the wrong thing. It means you've been putting your faith in man instead of in Jesus Christ. It means you've been conflating the physical organization of the church with the spiritual body of Christ. Learn what the difference between the two is. If there's no other positive result to come out of this, let that lesson be the one thing that does.  

Ministers, elders, and administrators are human beings just like you and me. They can make mistakes, And as with anyone else that makes mistakes, Scripture tells us exactly how to treat them when they do. We can gently correct them. We can pray for them. But the one thing we must absolutely stop doing is this practice of putting them onto a pedestal. As I said in an earlier blog post, find out the line between "respect" and "reverence". They are not to be venerated and they are not to be despised. They are to be respected, not because of their title or their longevity but because of their service for the Lord. And remember, even King David showed respect for Saul as God's anointed even after Saul was filled with evil and tried to kill him. Regardless of whether you feel in this case that it's Pr. Yang or the IA ministers who "stumbled", they both deserve your continued respect as God's anointed. 

As for the situation between the IA, the GA, and YM Yang, while I would have loved to see these posts result in some kind of reconciliation between the IA and Pr. Yang and for both sides to do a little introspection I don't hold any illusions that this is going to happen. Too much damage has been done at this point on both sides, too many bridges burned, too many insults, and too much backdoor vindictiveness in a predominantly Chinese culture where "saving face" always seems to prevail over all else. While our God is powerful enough to move mountains, he also gave human beings free will, and quite frankly I don't see either side here being humble enough to admit their faults and reconcile with the other. I'd love to be proven wrong, of course, but that's just the way I see it. And it breaks my heart.

And my heart is not the only one which is broken. I think of the heart of our Lord Jesus Christ. I think of His prayer in John 17:23 that we may be brought to complete unity. I think of the words He inspired through Paul and Peter in Ephesians 4:3, Colossians 3:14, 1 Peter 3:8, Romans 15:5 that beg us over and over again to attain unity, not through using bullying tactics to silence opponents but through the bond of peace. 

So if you can spare just one more prayer, pray for this situation, that all parties involved can do the impossible, somehow find common ground, and somehow start a healing process. And I don't mean spending 10 seconds in prayer mentioning it to God. If you care for the church, get on your knees and beg God for his mercy with all your heart. Because the very life of your church may depend on it. 

I said it before. If the last 10 posts I wrote are from my human mind, they will come to nothing. I will have wasted a few weeks of my life and a few minutes of your time, but I'll move on with life. But if there's even the slightest chance that anything I wrote was from the Holy Spirit, I urge you to not focus on me and to go back and focus on whatever you read that resonates with you. Pray on it, and ask God what He wants you to do with it.

Specifically, I know there are those of you out there whom the Holy Spirit is burning within to take the next step. I pass the torch to you.

As for me, I've done all I can. I still hope and pray all the time that I can find a church where Christ is truly the head, where the brothers and sisters live together in love and unity. I hope and pray that one day I can bring my wife to a church where she can experience for the first time in her life what genuine Christian love really is, and where I can raise my daughter to know Jesus Christ as her personal Lord and Savior. If you've been wondering what my motivation for writing all these posts are, wonder no longer. That's all this is and has ever been about.

May God have mercy on us all.

8 comments:

  1. Few points:

    1. It is unfair to criticize supporter of Pr. YM Yang in comparison or to the same degree as those in WDC, IA and GA, for majority of the supporters are layperson, not many are Preacher, Deacon, Minister whom hold prominent position in the church, not many are labelled as "extra holy" with all these title glow on their head, therefore one should not expect the same when in comparison with those labelled themselves "holy workers".

    2. It is unfair to label supporter of Pr. YM Yang simply as people serving their own self-interest and do not care for the church. People who DO NOT care for the church are those that cannot stand tjc and decide not to come, because quoting someone's word "knowing what we know, it is far easier to leave then to stay".

    3. "Calling yourselves names that imply that only you are correct and everyone who doesn't agree with your viewpoint is like someone who worships Baal" -- I wonder where this group got this idea from? Oh! From our one true church doctrine, oh! really? So the tjc can call tjc and meant it, and whatever sub-group can't call themselves whatever and it can imply others are worships Baal? How about tjc's view on all those who doesn't come to tjc is going to hell? This group has never ever imply everyone else is worshiping Baal, on the contrary, tjc has.

    4. "If you feel you've been slapped on the right cheek, let yourself be slapped on the left cheek" - I urge you to come back to tjc, lets all get weekly slapping by Preachers, Deacons, Elders, Minsters, by WDC, IA and GA every week in humility, your wife and your children should come too. Oh, and pray on it!

    I am not being sarcastic about 3 & 4, but from what I've learn through your post, knowing you are better off NOT to return to tjc, you and those lost sheep should become a independent church (or movement should the lost sheep spread out across the country) where Christ is truly the head, where the brothers and sisters live together in love and unity, where you can bring your wife to a church where she can experience what genuine Christian love really is... etc. Hence, not to quickly telling supporters of Pr. YM Yang what they can or cannot do, but simply implying they should do whatever Jesus tell them to do in the bible like the stuff recorded in Mark 16:15-18 and make sure you guys choose a group name that does not imply others not sharing your independent view are worshiping Baal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, first of all remember that I'm someone who supports YM Yang and that I've just written 15 blog posts explaining exactly why.

      Out of these blog posts I wrote just 1 or 2 paragraphs to supporters of YM Yang--people like me--for one purpose alone, to encourage them to examine themselves to the same extent that I did before I wrote the first word of my first post. If we dish it out, we sure as heck better be able to take it in.

      Please don't make me have to write 15 more blog posts about "Why Supporters of YM Yang Are Not 100% Right All The Time Either". I'm really, really tired at this point.

      With all respect, one thing we really, really need to stop is painting groups of people with broad brushes. "All members of the IA and GA behave this way". "All supporters of YM behave this way". There are individuals in both groups who are probably faithful, there are individuals in both groups who are probably faithless. I hope we can agree on that point.

      If you re-read my post carefully you'll see that I said that while I believe there are SOME who support YM Yang who do so selfishly I also said that I believe THE BULK OF YOU love the church (the spiritual body of Christ).

      I'm sure you will agree with me that the first statement is correct. Look around. There are some who have glommed onto the whole YM situation opportunistically but with questionable motives. For example, one individual repeatedly copied my words onto Reddit using a false name in an attempt to imply that I condone the foolishness that he/she espouses. It's to those people that I address that one paragraph. If you took offense at it, I suggest you don't, because I don't think it applies to you.

      As for the rest of the YM supporters, how much more can I have written to tell them I understand the pain they've gone through but just encourage them that they do what's necessary to put on the image of Christ if they want their cause to shine as righteousness? Is any of that wrong?

      For point #3, I see a name like "the Seven Thousand" and assume this is a reference to 1 Kings 19:18 and not another verse like 2 Chronicles 15:11 or Revelation 11:13. If I'm accurate, then my personal opinion is that the name is unnecessarily provocative. But again, this is just my advice. Take it or leave it, it doesn't make any difference to me personally.

      As for your point #4, if you haven't noticed, by posting these things I have suddenly jumped to the front of the line to get slapped by Preachers, Deacons, Elders, Ministers, the WDC, and IA and the GA. So yes, to answer your question, I prepared for this as much as I could. It wasn't easy for me to post these things, but if what is in my heart is from the Holy Spirit, I dare not keep silent. And if you must know, yes, I am praying on it.

      When Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. led the fight for civil rights, how were hearts changed in the United States in the 1960s? It wasn't because of laws or because of riots. They were changed because ordinary citizens saw their fellow citizens attacked by dogs, immobilized by fire hoses, and led to jail in handcuffs while they maintained a heart of love, prayer, and service.

      This wasn't by accident. Google "civil rights commitment card" to see the pledge all those in the movement had to take. Why was Dr. King so adamant about making sure his movement was non-violent? Because he knew that violence, bitterness, and lashing out was exactly what his opposition needed to discredit it as a whole. On the other hand when observers noticed them reflecting Christ, hearts were moved.

      If supporters of YM Yang believe themselves to have been the victims of injustice, then it onus is on them—on us—to act more and more like Christ. The eyes of the church, if not the eyes of the world, are upon you. Are you going to rise above the bitterness, rage and anger we we decry in those we disagree with, or are we going to match it eye for eye, tooth for tooth?

      It has to stop somewhere.

      Delete
    2. Sadly, I don't agree with your solution - to pray for the church, but that's my problem. The reason being, I don't see the need to be martyr over worldly church politics (I do not see the direct link of worldly so-called 'christian organisation' to be directly linked permanently to our Father in heaven), its not the great commission given to us by our Saviour Lord Jesus Christ. Whatever tjc wanna do (in this and many other issues), they'll keep doing it with or without approval of minority group (such as your group, the seven thousand or the north, or those not affiliate to the north nor the south etc. or any other group that is not officially recognized by the tjc), whatever the catholic church wanna do (with those priest that abuse children), they'll keep doing it (denying it... or say something and do something else) with or without approval of the rest of the world...

      As referring to your post that there are probably some good people, well, yes:

      WDC probably do have some good people, there were 5 forfeit their rights, 4 disagree and 47 agree to excommunicate Pr. YM Yang for voting topic 4, 6 & 7.

      WDC pass the voting topic 5 to dealt with people 'influenced' by Pr. YM Yang. 37 agree, 4 disagree. They are compiling a list (what a way to spend tithe of the members $$ on potentially kicking out its own member), and they will release the names, churches and other detail information of those that is 'considered against TJC'...

      So, it'll ONLY stop when they have completed whatever they want to complete... from our perspective as layperson or members of the tjc, we do not have the 'rights' in the church to do anything against them (GA, IA, WDC decisions). They don't believe is injustice what they've done to Pr. YM Yang, nor will they believe they are doing injustice on you and rest of us... You can tell me days or years later whether you rise above the bitterness, rage and anger and decry in those we disagree with after they dealt with "us" what they set out to do.... =)

      Peace~

      Delete
    3. Honestly, I don't blame the members of the WDC who voted against Pr. Yang. When I first saw the "evidence" against him, it looked pretty convincing to me as well. It wasn't until I looked beyond the surface at the actual substance (or lack thereof) that I realized that something was very wrong.

      As I understand the WDC, it follows parliamentary procedure where the delegates have only a set limit to hear a case presented and then vote on it. There's no way any delegate would have had the time to do the kind of research I had a whole month to do (and the only reason I had time was because I had a month of paternity leave and so I was up from 12 AM - 6 AM every night).

      I've done my analysis mainly on spiritual matters, but if we were to take a look at what happened from just a procedural perspective there are also a staggering number of flaws.

      First of all, I presume that the Biblical rationale for the IA taking the action they did was Matthew 18:15-18. Their thought process? Jesus Christ said you need 2-3 witnesses to decide a matter. Look, we have 47!

      What the IA failed to do is to look at the verses that Jesus was quoting. Let's do that. Deuteronomy 19:15-19.

      "One witness is not enough to convict anyone accused of any crime or offense they may have committed. A matter must be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.

      If a malicious witness takes the stand to accuse someone of a crime, the two people involved in the dispute must stand in the presence of the Lord before the priests and the judges who are in office at the time. The judges must make a thorough investigation, and if the witness proves to be a liar, giving false testimony against a fellow Israelite, then do to the false witness as that witness intended to do to the other party. You must purge the evil from among you."

      Did the IA really do a "thorough investigation" before they presented to the WDC and did the WDC do that before rendering a verdict? Let's put it this way. I'm a dork sitting in his pajamas at 2 AM and even I could find evidence of things that were missing, misstated, or even misrepresented. In fact, some might say that this character "RAWLS" very clearly bore questionable testimony. Will the IA be preparing to excommunicate him/her next, as Scripture demands?

      Here, we had a WDC who was asked to "try" a court case, but all they heard from was the "prosecution". If this were a secular court of law, the "defense" would have at least had the chance to see the evidence against him and prepare a defense. How ironic that in this case a secular court like the one Paul described in 1 Corinthians 6 would be MORE fair and just than the church administrators.

      As for what they are or aren't planning to do to us who speak out against the TJC administration, all I have to say is this. In 1970 I was baptized in the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ. In 1981 I received the gift of the Promised Holy Spirit. Somewhere along the way I accepted Jesus Christ completely as my Lord and Savior. On a daily basis I try my best to love God and serve man, some days better than others. I am a child of God and a member of the spiritual body of Christ.

      I hope that the TJC does not decide to censure me nor shame me nor bar me from entering its doors simply for speaking the truth. But even if it does that will not change my citizenship nor my inheritance in the kingdom of God. For those who think that it does, I truly weep for them, because those will be the very ones crying "Lord, Lord" on the Last Day.

      Delete
  2. So based on your sharing, we can discuss further on few more area based on my understanding….

    Legislative process:

    The process - In New Zealand, typical legislative process to pass a bill takes a long time; the clock starts to tick when upon the introduction of the bill, to select committee, then second reading, select committee on amendment, then final reading before voting to see if the bill is passed with typical duration of 6 months to few years. In tjc WDC, the bill is presented, discussed and vote on straight away with exception of possibly delay it by sending to trc, but none of that happens in 2015, all bills were passed. This results shows, either 1) WDC members have previously receive proposal or draft resolution to prepare for the meeting; 2) WDC members does not hold themselves accountable nor do they take their role serious. They were given weeks or months in advance as to where they are going for holidays during WDC (Visit mount kinabalu, the beach etc.), and draft resolution not given? What’s the logic behind priorities?

    The people - I don’t know how you could come to the conclusion not to blame the members who voted against Pr. Yang for there were 5 forfeit, 4 disagrees shows the level of intelligence among the crowd (those forfeit and disagree at least has the decency to know such task cannot be rushed through, nor was the process biblical - they are in my opinion - good), but if I was there to cast vote on someone I would at least have the decency to reflect it based on biblical principles, after all aren’t those going to WDC members suppose to “lead”? If not, I don’t see the logic behind whether to blame someone or not to blame someone. You often compare with the secular world, do you expect your local elected member to do his/her job like that and expect to win the community’s approval next round?

    The accuser – Was RAWLS present at WDC? Who is she/he? Why was RAWLS evidence so powerful and influential within tjc and WDC, does anybody know who this RAWLS is? Did WDC ask RAWLS and Pr. Chin to cross examine against Pr. YM Yang? If yes, where’s the evidence, if no, why not?

    What Rights?

    The ‘God-given’ authority – My simplify version, tjc apostolic succession claim is based on Catholicism with a modern twist, the link is claimed through Matthew 16:19 where Jesus said to Peter “I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.” While catholic claim the physical succession, tjc claim the spiritual succession where the same spirit falls on the apostolic church also falls exclusively on tjc, making tjc sole successor of the apostolic church on the later times. The direct claim of tjc’s uniqueness, the true vine, last ark etc. has evidence everywhere (no need referencing, it’s literally everywhere). From this, with council of Jerusalem set a precedent for the ‘leaders’ to legislate and control the church, and use the Holy Spirit as the seal of approval for their action. That’s the rationale behind what they do whatever they are doing.

    The FOCUS:

    The act – excommunication; from your post, you have put yourself forward as “child of God… member of the spiritual body of Christ”, not as a “practice member of the tjc”. Does that mean in your logic the power of excommunication by tjc has no power over you or your religious belief? Can all the ex-tjc members able to claim such a promise? Why have you choose not to recognize the sole direct-link between tjc and salvation, and God and the kingdom of God? Can Pr. YM Yang claim what you claim while he is axed from tjc and you are not? (or not yet)…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again, I'm avoiding passing judgment because of the "by the measure you are judged" thing. I was never a delegate to the WDC, but I've been the delegate to many NCCs in the US. The typical way it'd work is this.

      You (sometimes) would get mailed a gigantic binder filled with proposals and the GA's official opinion (similar to how if you're an owner of stock and there are shareholder proposals, the Board to Directors will "recommend" a vote one way or another).

      While you'd do your best to skim through the pages of proposals, more often than not, you'd just accept the GA's advice because you figure they've looked into it and they're presumably guided by the Holy Spirit. In the case of YM, remember that the vast majority of delegates probably had no idea who he even was other than in passing ("oh, wasn't he Elder Yang's son?), much less heard any of his sermons. So while I absolutely do not agree with the decision they rendered, I can see how it could have happened.

      I should say that if I were one of the 47 delegates and I were to stumble upon this blog, for the sake of my soul I would probably look for ways to rescind my vote knowing that I voted without understanding the full story. But God gave these 47 men and women free will, both whether they want to read this blog and whether they want to do anything about their actions.

      As for my "'putting myself forward' as a child of God", that's not me or "my logic" saying that, it's the Holy Bible. Personally I have not renounced nor do I plan to renounce my status as a "practicing member of the TJC". But if others decide that I am not fit to be a member anymore simply because I chose to speak the truth in love, that's their decision and one they will be accountable to God for.

      As for me, I would (and do) continue to view anyone who has been baptized in the blood of Jesus my brother in Christ, and yes, until someone can show me proof positive that he has absolutely committed a "sin that leads to death", that most certainly includes YM Yang.

      Delete
    2. Thank You Brother, May God Bless you! Hope to see more different topic that we can discuss and move forward.

      Delete
  3. Please bear in mind that an organization needs memberships who are willing to provide financial contributions to support the organization regardless of for-profit or non-profit.

    Especially in United States of America where financial contributions to religious organization is income tax exempt, there are incentives to make contributions to the religious organizations. Else where, there are very little incentives to make financial contributions except that financial contributions is equate to tithes (1/10) which God will bless you abundantly.

    With the current TJC memberships contracting, there will be changes coming to TJC organizations. I am not worry about changes for better or worse. The changes will bring second thoughts to each members of what their faith is.

    Right now, we feel sad that injustices happened right before our eyes. All the blogs will be read by many readers which may/can educate them the true Christianity beliefs as recorded in the Bible.

    ReplyDelete